Thai Ginger Chicken Soup, 'Tom Khing Gai'
For 4 Person(s)
- 2 Cups Chicken Cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Stalks Lemongrass, bruised (this isn't eaten, but is an essential flavorant)
- 5 Kaffir Lime Leaves, shredded
- 2 Coriander/Cilantro Plants, including roots chopped.
- 1 Tablespoon Thai Chile Peppers, thinly sliced.
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Chili Peppers
- 4 Lime Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Sliced Bamboo shoots or asparagus (this recipe is great with asparagus)
- 3 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Shallots, Thinly Sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger, Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Galangal, Minced
- Thai Pepper Powder (to taste)
Method for Thai Ginger Chicken Soup, 'Tom Khing Gai'
Heat a wok dry, and warm the dried chilis, then crumble them. Add a little oil to the wok and saute the chilis, ginger, galangal, shallots and garlic, until aromatic.
In a medium sauce pan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the sauteed ingredients, and the fish sauce and lime juice, and taste for balance. Then add the remaining ingredients, and bring back to a boil before adding the chicken. After about 1 minute taste for the balance of spices again, and then serve when the chicken is just cooked.