North Eastern Thai Pork Salad, 'Yum Mu Isan'
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 Pound Pork Steak or Similar Cut of meat
- 1 Cup Fresh Thai chile peppers
- 1/4 Cup Tamarind Sauce (50% concentrate 50% water)
- 1/4 Cup Fish Sauce
- 1 Cup Onions, Thinly Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Freshly Grated Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
Method for North Eastern Thai Pork Salad, 'Yum Mu Isan'
Barbeque or grill the meat to the desired degree of done-ness. Roast the chilis in a moderate oven (or grill them), until the skin begins to change color. Grind the chilis to a pulp and add equal parts of tamarind sauce and fish sauce until the whole forms a slightly fluid paste. Cut the pork diagonally across the grain into eigth inch thick slices, and cut the slices into 1" long pieces and then toss with the sauce and allow to marinade for about 24 hours. Add the onions and ginger and coriander leaves.
Toss (as a salad is tossed) and serve on a bed of lettuce with a bowl of sticky rice or Thai jasmine rice.