Larb Woonsen in Spring Roll Wrapper
Street Vendor Videos
Fresh spring rolls made from all natural rice paper are a real treat, but rarely found in Thailand--it's more of a Vietnamese recipe. Rolling authentic Thai in a fresh spring roll wrapper is an innovation we came up with recently, and we know you'll love it if you like Thai food. There is no need for a dipping sauce, just follow the recipe and enjoy.
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 Package (1.4 Ounce) Bean Thread Noodles
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Galangal, small diced and pounded until smooth in a mortar and pestle
- 2 Tablespoons Sliced Fresh Shallot
- 3 Tablespoons Sliced Spring Onion
- 1 1/4 Cups Cooked (boiled) pork, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Roasted Rice, Khao Koor
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Thai chile powder
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Cucumber, cut into 3 inches thin sticks
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 1/4 Cup Thinly Sliced Long Bean
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- 4 Torn Fresh Iceburg Leaves
- 10 Spring Roll Wrappers
Method for Larb Woonsen in Spring Roll Wrapper
Soak bean thread in water for at least 5 minutes, then use scissors to cut it a few times into 2-3 inch pieces. Boil in water for just 2 minutes, drain, place in bowl, drizzle a small amount of vegetable oil over noodles to prevent them sticking together, and set aside.
Place the noodles in a large mixing bowl, add galangal, shallot, cooked pork, khao koor, long bean, spring onion, cilantro, lettuce, cucumber, ground Thai chile powder, fish sauce, sugar, and lime juice. Toss gently until mixed well. Taste it and adjust flavor as you like. You might want a bit less chile powder to tone it down, more lime juice to add sour, or sugar to add sweet flavor. Top with a generous amount of whole fresh mint leaves. Set aside.
Fill a glass pie plate with hot (not quite boiling) water. Working one at a time, dip a spring roll wrapper in hot water until softened (about 10 seconds). Gently blot dry. Place softened wrapper on a clean work surface. Spoon desired amount of Larb Woonsen filling near one end, leaving a 1/2" border. Fold sides of wrapper over the filling and roll tightly. Cover with a damp paper towel to keep moist. Serve and enjoy!