BBQ Ground Thai Chicken on Lemongrass Spears with Peanut Sauce
The final result of this recipe is a very flavorful, savory barbeque chicken that's beautifully-served on a lemongrass skewer. See complete photographs below. A real party pleaser.
For 4 Person(s)
Ingredients For Chicken
- 1 1/2 Cups Sliced Shallots (about 10)
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Dried unsweetened coconut (can be toasted coconut found in supermarkets)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 6 Garlic Cloves, Peeled
- 6 Kaffir Lime Leaves, Thinly Sliced
- 2 Fresh Thai Chiles, stemmed
- 1 1-Inch Chunk Fresh Galangal, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 Pounds Boneless Chicken Thighs with skin, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 16 Stalks Fresh Lemongrass
Ingredients For Peanut Sauce
- 1 Cup Old-Fashioned (all natural) smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 Cup Low-Salt chicken broth
- 1/4 Cup Unseasoned White Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Palm Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Ginger
- 2 Tablespoons Sriracha Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
Method for BBQ Ground Thai Chicken on Lemongrass Spears with Peanut Sauce
A delicious and simple peanut sauce for this recipe that we recommend is Lobo Satay Mix, which is a bit spicy and more authentic to the Thai taste. We also have the following alternative for a more American taste.
METHOD / CHICKEN
Grind first 7 ingredients in processor to coarse paste. Heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add paste to skillet; do not clean processor. Saute paste about 5 minutes; transfer to large bowl and cool. Add chicken and salt to processor; grind coarsely. Mix chicken into paste in bowl. Clean lemongrass by removing outer layer(s), wash and remove the tips. Press 1/4 cupful of chicken mixture around thick portion of 1 lemongrass stalk in 4-inch-long sausage shape, leaving 1 inch of stalk end exposed. Repeat with remaining chicken mixture and stalks. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill until chicken is cooked through, turning often, about 8 minutes. Serve with warm peanut sauce.
Stir all ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to small bowl. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover; chill. Microwave on low setting until lukewarm and stir well before serving.