Betel Leaf Salad with Shredded Carrot
This recipe combines the healthy, naturally pepper-flavored betel leaf and the classic sweet, sour and hot sauce typical of Thai "yum" salad.
For 4 Person(s)
- 2 Teaspoons Tamarind Concentrate Mixed with 5 teaspoons water
- 1 Tablespoon Palm Sugar, Shavings
- 1/2 Tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Thin Soy Sauce
- 1 Fresh Thai Peppers, Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Roasted Peanuts, Crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 2 Cups Fresh Betel Leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- Optional Dried Shrimps
Method for Betel Leaf Salad with Shredded Carrot
In a small mixing bowl add tamarind juice, palm sugar, lime, and soy sauce; mix together. Fix the taste sweet or sour as you prefer, by adding more of each ingredient, and taste as you go. Be careful not to add too much lime juice. We recommend letting tamarind juice take the lead with the sauce, it will be more delicious.
Put betel leaves and carrot in medium mixing bowl pour the tamarind mixture over, follow with peanut, chili, mint leaves, and dried shrimps (if you are not vegetarian) mix well, then serve.»