Thai Crispy Stir-Fried Noodle, 'Mee Krob'
Mee krob is a fun dish to present to friends, as the crispy noodles are very unique and unlike anything you find in traditional American food. It's fairly time-consuming to prepare but well worth it.
The authentic sweet/sour sauce offers wonderful, exotic flavor. It can be served without the pork and shrimp for vegetarians.
In Thailand this is prepared in a wok but we used a pot to fry the noodles which worked well, and a skillet to fry the other ingredients. See pictures below, also read about Mee Krob as part of our sidewalk guide of good eats in Bangkok.
For 4 Person(s)
- 6 Ounces Rice Vermicelli Noodles (sen mee)
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 3 Tablespoons Thinly-Sliced Pickled Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Shallots, Sliced Thinly
- 4 Ounces Pork, such as tenderloin or pork rib meat
- 4 Ounces Medium shrimp, shelled
Ingredients For Sauce
- 1 Tomato, Sliced and Diced
- 2 Teaspoons Tamarind Concentrate Mixed with 5 teaspoons water
- 2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Crushed Palm Sugar
- 8 Kaffir Lime Leaves, Very Finely Shredded
- 1 Tablespoon Fish sauce
Ingredients For Garnish
- Thinly sliced green onions, and sliced red and green jalapenos or bell peppers.
- 1/2 Cup Hard tofu, cubed and fried
Method for Thai Crispy Stir-Fried Noodle, 'Mee Krob'
Heat about 3 cups of vegetable oil until very hot (preferably smoking). While it is heating, crush the noodles in a plastic bag. Drop the noodles, a small quantity at a time, into the hot oil. They immediately puff up and turn golden brown, it's quite remarkable, be quick to remove at once with a slotted spoon or a wire strainer. When all the noodles have been cooked and set aside to drain on paper towels, drizzle the egg into the oil to form a ribbon of cooked egg, then take it from the oil and chop it up. Finally deep fry the pieces of tofu until golden brown and set aside.
Now pour off and reserve all but a little of the oil, and stir fry the garlic pickle and shallots. Next stir fry the pork until firm and cooked to your taste. Stir fry the shrimp briefly until they turn pink. Mix the cooked ingredients, except the tofu, and transfer to a serving platter. Combine the ingredients of the sauce, and place it in a small bowl. Spoon the cooked ingredients over the noodles, then ladle the sauce it over the food. Garnish, serve and enjoy.