Thai Spicy Catfish, 'Pad Ped Pladuk'
Note the oil for cooking should be *HOT*. In view of this it is a good idea to cook this in a skillet with a lid.
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 Pound Catfish, Cut into
- 1/2 Cup Thai Eggplant, Diced
- 10 Cloves Garlic, Crushed, Chopped or Mashed
- 2 Stalks Lemongrass (about 2-3)
- 1/4 Cup Grated Fresh Ginger
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Thai Basil Leaves, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fish Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Palm sugar
- 3 Thai Chile Peppers (optional)
Method for Thai Spicy Catfish, 'Pad Ped Pladuk'
Combine the sauce ingredients.
In a wok get enough oil to shallow fry the fish smoking hot. Add the fish and stir until thoroughly coated with oil, then add the prepared sauce (carefull as it may splash). Stir fry for about 2-3 minutes, ensuring the fish doesn't stick to the pan and the pieces are all thoroughly sauced.
Remove to a serving dish and serve with steamed Thai jasmine rice and the usual Thai table condimentsas wekk as Thai chili powder and sugar.
Final caution: this cooks quite quickly--don't over cook it or the fish will become hard. It is cooked when you can pry the flesh from the central bone stem of the steak using the tip of a table knife without undue effort.